Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Map and Your Guide to Dining



















Here is a map of Oahu and the red dot is where the wedding will be located.  As soon as I gather more information, I will post the most affordable places to stay around the area.  
For know, I will post a few places that you absolutely have to eat at while you are in hawaii.  

The best shave ice in the world!! I know the owners and worked there for years while I was in high school.  They've been around for so long too.  The line can be long but it is well worth the wait.  I even got to meet Adam Sandler while he was shooting 50 first dates because he requested Matsumoto Shave Ice to cater during the movie shooting!
It is located in Haleiwa.  

Kua'ainas
These guys are known for their burgers.  The avocado burger is so huge and gooooood! Its swarmed with Japanese tourists.  They love it!! I think they even made on in Tokyo.  Anyway, its delicious and hits you just right after a day at the beach.
They are located in Haleiwa... really close to Matsumotos.

Food For Thought
This is a fairly new spot and I had it the last time I was back in Hawaii and after I had it once, i wanted to go there everyday.  It is a lunch truck but the food is all really healthy and tasty.  They have ahi salads, hummus with pita, Pita sandwiches, shrimp.... They use fresh foods and recyclable plates and cups. My favorite was a pita that was filled with fresh greens, roma tomatoes, strips of seared Ahi, alfalfa and some sort of coconut vinaigrette. mmmm.
This is located in Haleiwa, near the post office. 

Kahuku Grill
These guys are known for their coconut shrimp.  There are many shrimp trucks before you get to this grill and all of them are really good but in my experience, this place had the most delicious coconut shrimp!! When we went we ordered two plates and we still wanted more!!
This is located in Kahuku right across from the hospital.

Ted's Bakery
CHOCOLATE HAUPIA PIE. enough said.  I swear it has crack in it... it is sooooooooo good.
This is located in sunset beach.

Da Pokeman Fish Market
You gotta get to this place early to get the poke.  It is so unbelievably good and sells out so fast.  They bring in fresh fish everyday and sell it already seasoned, or not at all for you to cook at home.  Their shoyu poke is what they are known for.  
This is located in Wahiawa.

Dong Yang
This is a korean plate lunch place.  They give you a ton of food for cheap and their Meat Jun is soooooo good.  My bro loves this place. The Kim Chee is addicting.  People just go there to buy big containers of their kim chee. 
This is located in Wahiawa.

Zippys
This is Hawaii's version of Dennys.  Its not the best food, but this place is always open and is fairly cheap.  I used to hit this spot after a long night out. Its definantly a "local" spot.  I had to sell Zippys chili for my fund raiser when I was in 7th grade. haha.
They are located everywhere.  The nearest one from the North Shore is in Wahiawa and Millilani. 

Big City Diner
This one's an upper scale of Zippy's.  Their kim chee fried rice is excellent.  
This is also located everywhere.  

Rainbow Drive Inn
This is the ultimate plate lunch place.  They give you huge portions, its dirt cheap and the food is good but sooo bad for you. haha.  The loco moco plate is insane. 
This is located in Honolulu.

Diamond Head Grill
This place is similar to Food for Thought.  I love this place.  Their plate lunches are so tasty without you feeling like you ate a pound of grease afterwards.  
This is located in Diamond Head.

La Marianas
This is probably the coolest place.  Its the only old tiki bars that are still around. When you walk in, it looks like gilligans island set or something.  There is an old couple that plays piano and sings whatever you request.  The food is really good too and  its just really fun spot to stop off and get a cocktail.  Its located right on the harbor in Honolulu.

Little Village
This is a chinese food restaurant.  Ive actually only been there once and  their lettuce wrap is really good.  The duck aint that bad either, so if your near chinatown and are in a mood for lettuce wraps, you should check it out.  
This is located in Honolulu.

The Greek Corner
I used to eat here alot when I was going to UH since it was right down the road.  Its a little greek place that has the usually greek food but the combos are what was so worth it.  Their combos... you get alot of food for a deal plus the food tastes really good.  
This is located in Honolulu near the University of Hawaii.

Akasaka
Good, fairly cheap local foods and sushi place. I used to go alot when I lived in Honolulu.  Their fish just does it for me.  
This is located in Honolulu.

This is cliche' to say to do but Top of Waikiki is really cool.  Its this circular building that rotates while you are having dinner.  So you get a full 360 degree view of waikiki as you are sipping on your wine.  I actually never done it till a few years ago, my friend dragged me to go and I must say, its pretty cool.  Its a bit fancy and the meal can be expensive but well worth the experience of watching the sunset while dining from above.  


There is just way too many places that are amazing places to eat but these are a few that I could think of off the top of my head.  I also found a really good hawaii food blog that might be helpful and pics of some of the places Ive mentioned.  
www.cheapplacestoeatinoahuhawaii.com/foodblog

Hope this helps.

1 comment: